sidebars

Friday, May 25, 2012

And its a....

Set of twin boys!!! The parents came up last week and we had our big anatomy scan that also provided the answer to the much pondered question of what is actually growing in my belly. The boys look great and are already on the big side--my babycenter.com newsletter says that at 20 weeks, they should be around 10.5oz. and we were 19w4d and they were 11oz and 12oz. That is a lot of baby in there at this point.

Our anatomy scan also revealed that any spots of blood inside the uterus are gone...we actually found this out a while back, but well, I have been slack at documenting this go round (I guess when you feel good, you don't sit around at the computer, you get up and do something!).  My cervix is long and my doctor even remarked that I had twice as much as they like to see!! Yay cervix--keeping up with the good ol' uterus. :-)

In the last week or two I have also finally started feeling pregnant. I would never have guessed that twins would have been easier to this point than a singleton, but apparently my body really likes to grow baby boys and little girls tend to make me more tired and nauseated. The neat thing about having a boy and a girl myself means I did experience two very different pregnancies with each of them and my surrogate pregnancies have seemed to follow the same course.

Most people would kill me for saying this, but I went through the first trimester relatively unscathed. I stayed up until 10pm and was still up by 5:30am every day.  I had a few days of feeling yucky but typically as long as I was good about drinking my water and eating often, I did pretty well.  Now by 4pm I am pretty much done. I manage to keep it all going until the 8pm kid bedtime but at that point, I need to get my feet up.  My weight gain has been really good and I think my solid effort to eat plenty of fruits and veggies has made a huge difference.  I let myself eat what I crave if it is convenient.  I haven't had to run out for anything specific just yet and a  most fast food actually makes me feel pretty cruddy.

The parents are getting really excited. Now that they have a gender to work with, they can begin the preparation for their little boys...nurseries and names...it is all very real at this point.  Our Pre-Birth Order is on the way to the hospital attorneys and we have a hearing already on the books.  We need to get a birth plan in order so that all scenarios can be outlined.  I guess the farther we get in the pregancy, the more we can udpate things--very different situations on having pre-term twins at 24 weeks than a spontaneous vaginal birth around 37 weeks.  The babies are still moving a lot so the doctor says we have plenty of time for them to decide that head down is best.  Both babies were very active during our ultrasound and flipped every which way (but head down!) during the course of the two hours.

We go back in about three weeks for a follow up scan and check up.  After that visit at 23 weeks, we will become weekly patients.  While I am glad to be closely monitored, I just hope we can have a nice uneventful summer with quick doctor visits.  My goal is to make it past Labor Day weekend before we have to slow down...my next goal is just to get the kids back in school in early August.  If I need to take it easy, at least they will be busy all day long and rest will be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment