Wow! Time is surely flying this go round. Nothing like the end of school and a big move to really preoccupy you for a while. The last month has been a whirlwind and luckily, the pregnancy has been nice and boring.
While 24 weeks doesn't sound like much, when you are carrying someone else's child (or children in this case), knowing you have made it at least to the point of viability does slightly reduce the stress level. Not that I want these boys to be born anytime soon...honestly (and I will kick myself in a few weeks for saying this) but as long as they want to cook, I am happy to grow them. Little boys, especially, little white boys, have a harder time coming early. In all of my research and talk with folks in the medical field, it is almost like a joke because the difference can be huge. Little girl comes early and she does great (for the records, frozen embryos that are female tend to do better and more girl babies are born from IVF done with frozen embryos than little boys)...little boy might have a harder time and even get NICU time versus the female counterpart.
I do have to admit when I found out it was twins part of me hoped for little girls--I have never gone into labor early (unless you count 39w1d early by some strange means) so I wasn't concerned about having to work hard to maintain twins, but I know the odds for little boys and it does add to the stress level. What reduces the stress level is the fact that at 22w4d the boys were already measuring close to 24weeks and my cervix was twice as long as the length that concerns doctors (5.8 vs the 3 that starts to make them nervous). So my body is doing what my body is good at...making nice, big babies and for that, I am so thankful right now.
At the last visit, my uterus was also measuring around 31 weeks...so while I still have another month of my second trimester I am starting to feel like I am halfway through my third. My maternity support band has been pulled back out and that is helping tremendously. I get more support for my pelvic floor and my lower back, both of which are feeling the weight of two babies. I am hopeful that with summer here, I can start to spend more time in a pool getting the benefits of the water weightlessness. The next seven weeks will be busy and fun while the kids are out of school and we are settling in to the new house, so will continue to keep my fingers crossed that these babies settle in for the long haul and decide that fall is definitely a better time to be born than mid-summer.
And drum roll please...at last check both babies were head down, so until I am told otherwise, I am putting the thoughts of a c-section out of my mind!! Anyone reading needs to say a little prayer that they enjoy being upside down together and decide to stay that way. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment