sidebars

Sunday, February 17, 2013

And a new year begins

Each year, New Years Day is filled with all the excitement and wonder of what is to come in the next 12 months.  The last few years have been dominated with pregnancy, not only by my surrogate pregnancies, but those of my dearest friends as well.  While this theme will continue for a few, this year may be the first in three for me, that doesn't involve pregnancy.  I always make big plans for a new year...new budget, new goals, new weight. :-)  So trying to decide what to do with this year is really taking some thought.

I talked with a few different people last year about surrogacy.  Two friends are now actively surrogates in various stages and another was on the opposite end--desperately ready for her family. I have continued to be in contact with my first surrogate family and it is amazing to see how that little girl has grown.  They will forever be special people in my life and I feel like I have been blessed just by knowing them.  While I am not as close with the second set of parents (distance and of course, having two babies!!) I did get a super cute Christmas card and some photos.  It really touched my heart to hear from them and see how they are thriving.

So the question is still out there...what to do with 2013?  My family has waited patiently for me to be back to my old self and now I need to figure out exactly what to do.

**So this post never made it to be published in January, when it was originally written, so rather than delete and start again, I figure I may as well add what I have been up to in 2013.**

Today is 5 months since the twins were born. I have five pounds left to lose to get to my IVF weight and another five that would put me where I want to be. Haven't heard from the twins parents since Christmas and I am okay with that now. They are super busy with their jobs and babies. The first surrogate baby is 2 months away from being 2. She is adorable and I recently got to see her new thing, the fist-bump. Her parents are so thrilled and still so very thankful.

My bestie, Meagan, got me to sign up for Pilates and it has been amazing.  The instructor spent the first four weeks working with just the two of us and I can tell how much stronger my core has gotten in the six weeks I have been going.  I can't believe I haven't done it before as it is just what this pregnancy weary body has needed.  The girls at work got into Zumba and I jumped on that bandwagon as well.  Doing something active and fun for myself has not only had great physical results, but  mental ones as well.  I have lost five pounds and fit back into clothes that seemed like they were from a life-time ago. My head also feels clear for the first time in a very long time.  No extra hormones, no medicines, no pregnancy. I feel like I am finding myself again and that is a very good feeling.

Surrogacy is amazing and I know that taught the people around me a lot about my character and how much I value family, but it takes a lot out of you.  You give for so long and then you aren't quite sure what's left when you are done.  I am finding myself in 2013 and being a more attentive, loving mother and wife.  I am reclaiming me and making sure that I am more than a surrogate, but the best person I can be for all the people that have stood by me for so long.

So I guess I can say that 2013 is off to a very good start...

No comments:

Post a Comment