sidebars

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Here we go again...

We had another ultrasound this past Wednesday.  February 29th.  Not a normal day, I guess, and should I have been surprised that I have another big ol' bleed staring at me on the screen??  Last pregnancy we had a little area of concern, blamed it on the fact that we had three embryos and ended with one baby.  This go round we had two embryos put in and we got pregnant with twins.  So my super uterus doesn't seem to understand the happy balance of just enough blood flow...I guess to grow big healthy babies, my blood supply to my uterus goes in total overdrive.  And typically this is a very good thing.  A lot of women I have read about have trouble carrying to term because of poor blood flow to their uterus (at least when all the other crazy things have been ruled out)...but me, I get to carry babies for nine months with potential to bleed the entire time.  Now I always look forward to pregnancy as a time NOT to bleed.  Oh well. At least I am use to it.

Unfortunately, the IM (intended mother) is not.  And we aren't officially turned over to my doctor yet and all doctors involved seemed to be unavailable Thursday and then out of the office on Friday. I feel comfortable with the pregnancy and with the bleed because I have been down this road with a wonderful birth waiting at the end. But she is very nervous as she has a history of blood equaling loss. With no one around to answer her questions, her anxiety and worry are only growing.

We are lucky to have an ideal situation--if extra blood can be considered ideal--because the blood is far away from the beautifully growing babies and doesn't seem to be impacting them at all. And both babies are the exact same size, with heart-rates that are even similar.  The blood is near my cervix though, which means I am in for it at some point. The doc even asked if I carry around pads because I am probably going to need one when that moment comes.  Great.  So I get to be minding my own business somewhere one day when the bottom is going to drop out.  And to make it even crazier...my doc is actually rooting for that to happen as once the blood is out, it is out and can't cause trouble. 

I vividly remember the bottom dropping out during my last pregnancy and thinking that all was lost.  I feel more relaxed knowing what I went through last time and have even more confidence in my body. I just wish that a doctor was around to reassure the IPs that all will be well and in 30 weeks or so, two perfect little babies will be delivered right into their arms.  Its going to be a long weekend, but it might also make for an even longer feeling pregnancy.

On a side note, I told both kids that we are growing twins for another family. They both thought it was simply awesome.  Eleanor quickly added that now she needed to make two diaper cakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment