sidebars

Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's involved with making a baby?

So I have spent the last few weeks mainly focused on the surrogacy and to sort of wrap that up in a nice little package, figured I would make a little list of what is involved in making a baby...at least when you go down the path of IVF.  Of course, I only have half of the list because there was a list of things involved in harvesting the eggs, but that happened years ago in this case...

For anyone that is curious, I needed the following to make this baby:
      38 Lupron Injections in my stomach
      98 Estrogen patches
      47 Progesterone shots in my backside--most courtesy of my husband
      15 Progesterone suppositories
      10 assorted pills--antibiotics, muscle relaxers before transfer
      
We were very lucky too...this was for a single cycle of IVF.  The progesterone shots did continue through the first few weeks of pregnancy as did the estrogen patches, but as anyone can see, a lot goes into making a baby these days.

I wish it never had to get to this point, but for so many people it really does.  I have completely had my eyes opened to what can be necessary when nature doesn't take the course we all hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment