One part that sort of goes unnoticed when being a surrogate is all the "behind the scenes" work between doctors offices, attorneys, intended parents and the actual surrogate. That part isn't really that fun to write about but it does provide a little back drop to anyone really wanting to know how this whole surrogacy thing works.
When I first met my IPs in person, their Reproductive Endocrinologist gave my uterus a quick look and did a basic review of my medical history. This past Monday (Dec. 5th), I had to set up an appointment with my own doctor for blood work (no one goes into this process without being tested for a million and one things--regulations on IVF and anything that involves taking something from someone and putting it elsewhere, medically speaking, is strictly monitored). I also had to have a sonohystogram--the doctor uses saline to fill up my uterus and views it all via ultrasound. Completely painless and it gives a great picture of the true state of my uterus...checking for any endometriosis, polyps, blockages...anything that could cause any trouble during the IVF procedure.
The doctor I saw at my OBGYN and he is the same doctor that my last IPs originally starting working with 8 years ago. He handled all the monitoring of my first surrogacy and it is wonderful to have such a familiar and encouraging face to interact with once again. Although, I must say, familiarity and comfort is one thing but to be told by a medical professional that you have one of the best uteri (is that the plural of uterus??) in town is somewhere between awesome and kind of creepy. I guess for a surrogate, that type of phrasing is like getting all "A's" on your report card--but I really didn't have anything to do with the state of my uterus, I was just born this way.
Monday I also mailed our final contract to the IPs attorney. Having that 30 page book out of my hands is a good feeling. So much is discussed during the contract and so many different scenarios have to be discussed. Plus all the financial talks happen during the contract stage and that is typically the hardest part for my independent matches. Luckily I had put together a nice financial calendar so everything was discussed via email and settled on before the atttorneys even got involved.
I do feel good knowing that having this awesome uterus, it is getting put to good use. I never would have thought that "gestating" would be something I was given by God, but surprises abound. I am still excited to continue to have a great relationship with my last IPs and they are cheering on this next couple too. Surrogacy will always be a part of who I am, no matter where I am on this path of life. Being able to share something as amazing as motherhood, is something I will always value. I truly feel blessed to be able to do this for someone else. My life was enriched by my last IPs and just knowing them...I feel like this is already happening with this next couple as well. We come into people's lives are different times for different purposes and reasons...in as much as I have changed the lives of two people, they have also changed mine.
And we also have a date for our IVF transfer--January 20th. Whatever happens, 2012 is going to be just as rewarding as 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment