sidebars

Friday, February 17, 2012

Its officially, official!


So at last update, I was describing all the behind the scenes of surrogacy.  Since then, life has been busy with Christmas and a surprise Disney trip for the kids as well as getting back to a routine after the holiday crazies. 

Things on the surrogacy front went as planned and on January 20, 2012 we transferred two perfect 5 day old embryos.  January 25th, I got my first positive home test. January 30th was our official beta (blood pregnancy test).  We had a great first number.  We are officially pregnant.  We had follow up blood tests two days later and then a week after that.  All numbers were strong and doubling within 38 hours. I was told I could resume all regular activities as I had been sort of on "light duty" since the IVF.  It is now more than official, my super uterus has had another positive on the first go. What are the chances of getting pregnant the first time you try, four times in a row?  I guess that is one of the reasons I am a great candidate to be a surrogate.
You really have to try to see the traditional tests, but the digi doesn't lie!

I am still on oral estrogen three times a day and actually increased progesterone to three times daily as well (luckily only one of those is the injection).  The meds will continue until March 4th when I am officially 9 weeks pregnant.  That day always comes with excitement and worry--so glad to be done with things but concern that my body isn't ready to do it all alone.

I have been surprised at how well I am feeling and while I know each pregnancy is different, I still anticipate certain symptoms.  Overall I feel good.  I have enough energy on my work days and haven't needed to nap. The nausea is mild and if I can eat something (preferably salty) when that feeling hits, it pretty much goes away.  No bloating, no tenderness...just a body that seems completely normal but is actually gestating as I type.

The parents are excited.  This is a totally new feeling for them and I can't even imagine having hope after all they have gone through, but they do.  I think they want to be over the moon and relaxed, but until delivery day, everything is still just detached enough that it doesn't seem real.  Hopefully when we get further than they ever have, they will be able to relax.  All I know is that I am praying for a very normal, healthy pregnancy that goes as long as it can.

And we found out today that there are TWO babies.  My last pregnancy, my last surrogacy, will be completely new and different.  I am excited and nervous and scared...but willing to do whatever it takes to keep these babies cooking as long as possible.  Hoping that my experience growing big babies has been practice for this final show.  I have always wanted to carry twins and now I get a chance.  An amazing couple will get to complete their family all at once and I can know that I have given someone exactly what I already have--two amazing children to love.
PS. I am not officially, official anywhere else than my small group that follows me here.  I will do an official annoucement after the first trimester!!

No comments:

Post a Comment