sidebars

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rough Days

I guess as adults we sometimes forget that we aren't the only ones that can have a rough day.  For no reason at all, everything just goes wrong or doesn't feel right.  Yet when our children wake up on the wrong side of the bed, we write it off to bad behavior or temper tantrums.  Alexander had a very bad day yesterday.  It started early and I should have known that when he threw a fit about the clothes he was wearing, that we were in for it.  He is my easy kid.  I can still pick out whatever works from his closet and he just gets dressed (unlike Eleanor who will fight me tooth and nail over almost anything she wears).  Yesterday the shirt felt weird and then the pants were too loose...we argued as he walked out the door.

So why was I so surprised when I got the email from his teacher? I knew he was having an "off" day and he was somewhat stuffed up from allergies (I do love to make excuses for my kids, but really, what mom doesn't?).  The thing that gets me is that he lied about it.  We will put up with a lot from our kids, but lying is the one thing that we don't tolerate.  We feel like he has consequences at school (and a stern teacher) so whatever punishment that occurs there is typically enough.  The problem came when he hid his folder that showed the color he was on (different colors mean different things regarding behavior) and then said it was something else. He didn't realize the teacher would email me giving me a heads up.  Poor kid. I almost feel bad.  He didn't want us to be mad but instead he made it worse. 

Days like yesterday are the ones where it is hard to be a parent.  It is hard to do the right thing, when you know your kid feels horrible about it all. Alexander is so hard on himself.  He is a true first child that wants to please his parents, but his judgement is still that of an almost 7-year old.  It is going to be harder on me than him with the punishment--no screen time until Saturday.  The kid loves his math games online--logic really--and plays then until he figures them out.  Because the attitudes have been flying this week, we instituted a no TV rule for the rest of the week for both kids.  The nice part of this is that those toys, that fill the shelves in their rooms, might actually be played with this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment