sidebars

Monday, March 21, 2011

Sugar!!

I don't know if I have mentioned it yet but Easter Candy is my all time favorite.  I have a complete weakness when it comes to all things Cadbury this time of year.  My favorite is the original Cadbury Cream Egg followed by the Orange Cream Egg.  And I have definitely found that people are a either a "lover" or "hater" when it comes to this confection.  For a very pregnant lady whose taste buds are ablaze with everything I eat, they completely hit the spot. I eat them after I eat dinner to settle everything...they don't give me heartburn when almost everything does these days (ice cream has the same effect, so I do have something to trade out with them on occasion).  I can eat one when I am not really hungry or completely famished and they are fabulous each and every time. 

I have always loved candy and sweets...earlier this pregnancy I was a salty girl and that sort of threw me for a loop.  I still have a bag of Doritos in the pantry for the cheese craving that hits--crunchy cheese, not good for you dairy (although that does happen too).  Have I mentioned that in general I really do like to eat?  Pregnancy has always been a time of rejoicing because I have always eaten well and loved every morsel.  The first half of this surrogate pregnancy found me without an appetite.  I would really want to want something and it just didn't happen. I would eat and it was so unfulfilling. 

By week 25 or so, I was back to my happily eating pregnant self when I was told I would have to take my gestational diabetes test.  This didn't worry me in the least since I had always been more of the type to get a little weak if I went too long without eating, so I was pretty confident in my ability to burn through some sugar without problem.  But I failed the first test.  I got the call and was so upset.  Easter candy was already appearing in the stores and there was a chance that I would have to sacrifice this amazing selection.  Of course, I would do it because my health and the health of the baby is way too important, but my freezer would totally be stocked for the time when my blood sugar returned to normal after the birth.  Luckily that few days of stress followed by the three hour (horrible, horrible, horrible) glucose test confirmed that my sugar was really low and I was no where near diabetic. Note to anyone reading, don't drink chocolate milk at midnight the night before your one hour test.  I am not saying it had anything to do with the first fail, but you never know. ;-)

So now my house is stocked with at least 8 Cadbury Cream eggs (combo of regular and the orange cream), a bag of jellybeans, a bag of candy coated chocolate eggs, a bag of peppermint patties (in Easter colored wrappers!) and some mini chocolate bunnies.  Yep I think that does it. And because all good sugar snacks do tend to result in a small salty craving, the Doritos are also sharing the pantry with some Flavor Blasted White Cheddar Goldfish.  But no one tell my husband or the kids okay??

PS. How is it that Cadbury is not in spellcheck??!! Seriously?

1 comment:

  1. Easter Peeps are my weakness. Especially the chocolate covered Peeps from Loco for Coco...in fact, I better go get some now.

    ReplyDelete