sidebars

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Having the Right Tools

No matter what you do in life you need to have the right tools. I have recently found this to be essential as I have been attempting to make some simple stuffed animals for the kids.  Recently vowing that I would use up some of my stashed craft supplies, I let the kids pick something out of my newest sewing book.  Each child picked a toy they wanted me to make and I set to work. A few weeks ago, I put up a few pictures that included a pink dog I was making for Eleanor. Well, that little pup just got finished over the weekend (finally, I might add, after weeks of staring at me).  I had a horrible time trying to do the hand sewing and the final seam looks awful.  Thinking that maybe in all of the supplies I own, I didn't have the right tool for the job, I popped into Joann's yesterday and asked.  Apparently, thick, large-eyed needles don't work well on a thin, cotton fabric. Huh.  Imagine that...so I promptly bought some quilting needles and today, in a matter of about an hour, I made Alex his stuffed dinosaur!  It will not sit on my sewing table for two weeks untouched, it will promptly be given to him when he gets home today. For not only is the body of the dinosaur complete, but he is sewn up, ready to be loved!!  

Completed Critters!!

This whole tool thing got me thinking and I realized that many times I have found myself frustrated working on something that should have been fun.  How many times do you start to do something around the house or with your kids, then walk away from it all because it just doesn't seem to be working the way you had planned??  I know sometimes the problem is the plan, but more often I find that I don't have the right tool for the job.  The tools are sometimes concrete items, like a sewing needle or a fabulous knife, but not always.  Sometimes that tool can simply be patience or a kind word.  When things don't go as planned, have you fully prepared your materials and your expectation? 


I know I am guilty of thinking things will go a certain way, it doesn't, and then frustration seeps in--the same thing happened with Alex the other day when he was working on his homework.  He had an idea of how he wanted his project to be done, and I had another idea.  He got so frustrated with me, then I got mad at him and before we knew it an hour and a half had gone by when 15 minutes should have sufficed.  We both needed to relax and have fun with the project, since he is only in first grade.  The tool that I needed then was patience and it was nowhere in sight.  

Motherhood provides us with many opportunities to grow as individuals, to teach our children and to impact the world around us.  I am still learning which tools make life the easier and which ones only get in the way.  What tools do you recommend?  If I had to make a list of "hold in your hand" tools that rock, I would definitely have to say a few good knives, a great vegetable peeler, name-brand hair detangler and washable crayons/markers.  The kitchen items are no-brainers, the faster you can prep your meal, the sooner everyone eats (and at my house, that is always a positive).  The hair detangler is a must too, because Eleanor cannot stand to have her hair dried, especially if there is any pulling with the brush (and you know how it is, running off, being yelled at to come back, more crying, more yelling, etc).  The washable crayons/markers are definitely a plus to have on hand for whenever things get stressful/out of control/boring...a stack of paper and something to doodle with, can always change the mood with my kids.  They always walk away from some creative time feeling better, always.  The right tools can keep everyones attitudes positive and make the rest of the day so much better.

As far as the intangibles, those are too numerous to list. Sometimes the best tools a mother can give, can't be seen, but felt...like that hug or a pat on the back.  The words, "I love you" or "I'm proud of you," when someone needs it most.  Taking just a moment and turning away from the computer when the real world needs us and the online world can wait.  :-) I hope I always remember to use the right tool for whatever life throws my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment