sidebars

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Its amazing when a day suddenly has a new meaning...I grew up making Mothers Day cards and gifts for my mom and grandmothers, but over the years this day has truly evolved.  I finally get it, get what it means to be a mom. I have been celebrated myself now for 7 years...my first Mothers Day when Alex was only a few weeks old.  All those years ago, I had no idea what I was in for...I was "green" as they say...just happy to have my baby in my arms, no need to really celebrate. 

This year, I feel like I "get" it...I know why we celebrate our Mothers and why we take a moment to think of their importance in our lives.  Mothers do so much for their children in ways beyond the feeding, clothing, loving that we see day to day.  A mom is there for support, even when they don't agree, they let you try life your way and see what happens because they know it will make stronger in the end.  If you fail and you come running back, you have a learned just as valuable a lesson as when you succeed.  Those risks make us stronger and make us look outside the box.  Mothering isn't just teaching your children to do the right thing, it is showing them that can use any situation to learn and grow.

As a mother, you learn to follow your heart.  You know when your children are sick or having a bad day just by looking at them.  You know when to be stern and you know when to open your arms.  Your heart speaks so loudly as a mother, that some days, its hard to do anything but watch your children, in awe that they are yours.  I see my kids growing way too fast, becoming independent people with their own dreams and goals. I hope that as their mother, I have nurtured them in such a way that they feel they can take on the world and survive no matter which way life goes for them.  My children will always be a success if they can follow their hearts and trust in their minds. 

As a mother, I was led to become a surrogate and will most likely pursue it again.  I wanted to teach my children that we help other people when we can.  We give of ourselves because this life isn't just about us...I would never have thought my gift would be to grow babies, but maybe more than growing a baby I was able to create a family.  And that is what I celebrate today, as I not only have my family, but another that will be forever changed because of the choice I made to give of myself. 

I am so proud of myself and all the people that have come forward to support me always--not only in surrogacy but in motherhood. I celebrate us all today, as together, we have made a difference in so many lives. Happy Mothers Day!

1 comment:

  1. I am finally getting around to reading your blog. I LOVE IT!!! You are amazing and will never know how many people look up to you and how you have def made a difference in others lives. Miss ya.

    ReplyDelete